So much energy is often spent contemplating the latest diet craze. I hear about them all the time; Keto, Paleo, Vegan, Whole 30, Weight Watchers, Carb counting, etc. While I like to learn about each one so I can help the people I serve, I am cautious. I am very wary of diet crazes. I like them as long as the person who is partaking is taking the time to be curious and deciding if the diet is helpful to them. Before embarking on a new diet craze I want to suggest you do the following it will be worth its weight in gold if you do!:
- Take Stock. Take the time to figure out your situation. What are your health goals? Where do you want to be? Is it realistic and attainable? What kind of changes do you need to make in order to get where you want to go?
- Assess Your Strengths and Weaknesses. What has worked for you in the past? What do you already know? What are your weaknesses? What knowledge do you lack?
- Resources. What resources do you have access to (healthcare, library, knowledgeable family or friends, books, trainer, gym, nutritionist, etc)?
- Plan. What is your plan moving forward? Do not overwhelm yourself start with a small action item and follow it with something else once you complete.
- Execute. Move forward with your plan. Trust that one hundred small changes equal one big change.
You are the expert on you. I will tell you in all of my experience those who succeed with weight loss and health always take themselves into account. They include their knowledge of themselves and create a plan for what they do not know. They connect their personal knowledge with resources, the plan, and they do!
I am not dismissing all of the fads I just am hoping to inspire you to start here with these 5 simple steps to set yourself up for success. I am rooting for you and wishing you well! Let me know if you have any questions and if this was helpful.