People are always asking me, “What should I do when I eat out if I want to be healthy?” This can be complicated but this is what I do.
- Always look at the menu prior. Nowadays with our smartphones, this is easy to do. Know what you will order ahead of time and when you get to the restaurant laser focus do not get swayed by looking at the menu.
- Try to find the best option that sounds good and mostly has real food, ideally veggies and lean protein. Get creative, look at appetizers and sides.
- If possible never show up at a restaurant when you are starving this can be disastrous. Usually, it results in eating more than needed, eating foods which might not be the healthiest, and getting so full you feel bloated which puts a damper on the rest of the day.
- Be mindful! I would recommend focusing on conversation, eating & chewing thoroughly, refrain from going on your smartphone, and notice when you get full and put the remainder of your food in a to-go box.
- Enjoy the experience. Be present and mindful.
Let me know if this is helpful. I am rooting for you!